Cleaning and descaling of Nespresso Vertuo Next is an important step in maintaining the performance of the coffee machine. If you want to increase the lifespan of your coffee machine, then doing these two steps is essential.
Avoiding cleaning and descaling will allow mineral buildup on the inside walls of the coffee machine and will eventually damage it. You will feel a potential difference in the taste and quality of the coffee you are preparing from the coffee machine with mineral buildup inside it.
Cleaning and descaling the coffee machine regularly will ensure it runs in its best condition for as long as possible. Cleaning and descaling Nespresso Vertuo Next are pretty simple. This article, will guide you through the steps to clean and descale your coffee machine effectively.
Also, we will provide you with some alternative descaling solutions you can use if you are short of the original descaling solution socially designed for Nespresso machines. Moreover, we will also provide some expert tips for cleaning and descaling your Nespresso Vertuo Next which can be helpful for beginners.
What is Nespresso Vertuo Next Descaling?
Nespresso Vertuo Next or coffee machines build up solid deposits of lime and calcium from the water over time. Nespresso Vertuo Next descaling process helps to eliminate these deposits and clean your coffee machine internally. This descaling process allows you to achieve proper coffee extraction from the coffee pod and ensure that the tasting experience is as perfect as day one.
In short, descaling your Nespresso machine over time is essential for the excellent health of the coffee machine.
Why descale the Nespresso Vertuo Next?
Descaling Nespresso Vertuo Next is essential for the excellent health of the coffee machine. Here are some of the top benefits of descaling the Nespresso Vertuo Next machine.
- Extended Lifespan: Descaling the Nespresso machine within a proper interval of time will prevent the mineral buildup inside the device, which can ultimately damage the machine.
- Better water flow: Descaling helps to improve the water flow by removing the mineral buildup. The better the water flow, the better temperature is maintained at brewing time.
- Improved Taste: Calcium or magnesium buildup inside the machine affects the taste of coffee. Descaling removes these impurities and hence helps prepare an improved coffee taste.
- Enhanced safety: The heating element inside the Nespresso Vertuo Next can get damaged due to solid residues that stick to the walls of the Nespresso machine. Ultimately it can be a safety hazard. Hence, descaling is necessary to enhance safety.
- Environment Friendly: Descaling helps make the Nespresso machine environment-friendly as it reduces the energy required to heat water which can eventually save energy.
When to clean and descale your Nespresso Vertuo Next?
Cleaning and descaling your Nespresso Vertuo Next increases the lifespan of the coffee machine. According to the user manual of the Nespresso Vertuo Next, it is recommended to clean and descale the machine every three months or every 300 coffee capsules, whatever comes first.
However, we recommend cleaning the coffee machine after every use. It is general cleaning. It requires emptying the water tank and wiping it clean.
Along with it, we recommend manually inspecting your coffee machine for signs of mineral buildup inside the water tank. It is a clear indication that your Nespresso Vertuo Next requires descaling.
How to Descale Nespresso Vertuo Next – 3 Easy Steps
Descaling Nespresso Vertuo Next is easy and requires only a few things. Here is the procedure to do so.
What you’ll need
Here are some of the products you’ll need to descale your Nespresso Vertuo Next.
Follow the steps below to descale your Nespresso Vertuo Next.
Step 1: Preparing the machine for descaling
- Start by emptying the drip tray. Also, empty the capsule container.
- Next, fill the water tank with 1 unit of Nespresso descaling solution. Add 0.5 liter of water to it.
- Close and lock the machine to turn the machine on. If the machine is already closed and locked, just turn the machine on by pressing the coffee button.
- The coffee button will blink while the machine is heating-up. Wait for the machine to complete the heating-up process. Then open the machine and let the capsule be ejected.
- Close the machine again, and do not lock it this time.
Step 2: Descaling Process
- Place a container of a minimum of 1 liter under the coffee outlet.
- To enter descaling mode in Nespresso Vertuo Next, press and hold the coffee button on the top for 7 seconds.
- The coffee button will start blinking rapidly. At this time, you have 45 seconds to enter descaling mode. Else, the machine will return to brewing coffee mode again.
- Lock the coffee machine by turning the lever to the lock symbol.
- Push the coffee button.
- The machine will start the descaling process and stop automatically when the first phase of the descaling process is completed.
Step 3: Rinsing Process
- Now, empty and rinse the water tank and drip tray.
- Fill the water tank again with fresh drinking water and put it back in its place.
- Now, again push the coffee button to rinse the machine.
- The Nespresso Vertuo Next will stop automatically when the rinsing procedure is completed.
- The coffee button light will stop blinking rapidly and will become steady now. Which means the descaling is completed now.
- Let the machine dry for 10 minutes before using it to prepare coffee.
Why clean the Nespresso Vertuo Next?
Cleaning your Nespresso coffee machine is one of the most important tasks. Here are a few reasons why you should give special attention to cleaning your Nespresso Vertuo Next.
- Maintaining the quality of coffee: Regularly cleaning the coffee machine after every use will prevent any residue buildup, which can affect the flavor and quality of coffee.
- The enhanced lifespan of the machine: Cleaning and maintaining the Nespresso Vertuo Next will help it run smoothly and prolong its lifespan.
- Better machine appearance: The coffee machine is an attractive addition to a kitchen; keeping it clean will make it look more appealing and new.
- Prevents bacteria growth: Regularly cleaning the Nespresso Vertuo Next will prevent bacteria growth which can be harmful to coffee consumers and can also cause damage to the coffee machine.
How to Clean Nespresso Vertuo Next – 6 Easy Steps
Cleaning Nespresso Vertuo Next is no big deal. Here are simple steps you need to follow in cleaning up your coffee machine.
What you’ll need
You will need the following items to clean your Nespresso Vertuo Next.
- A clean, damp cloth
- A dry cloth
Here are some steps you need to follow in cleaning your Nespresso Vertuo Next.
Step 1: Unplug the coffee machine and empty the water container.
Step 2: Clean the Exterior with a Damp Cloth
- Using a damp cloth, clean the entire exterior of the Nespresso Vertuo Next. Make sure no stains remain on the outer surface of the coffee machine.
Step 3: Clean the water tank
- Thoroughly wash the water tank with fresh water and clean it with a dry cloth.
Step 4: Clean the used capsule container
- Empty the used capsule container and rinse it with fresh water.
- Dry it with a piece of cloth.
Step 5: Clean the coffee outlet
- Using a clean and dry brush, clean the coffee outlet to remove any coffee grounds.
Step 6: Clean the drip tray
- Remove the drip tray from the machine.
- Dip it in warm soapy water for a while.
- Rinse it with fresh water.
- Dry it thoroughly before placing it back in the coffee machine.
Recommended guide: How to Clean a Nespresso Machine Like a Pro (5 Steps)
Alternative methods for descaling the Nespresso Vertuo
Here are some of the alternative solutions for descaling your Nespresso Vertuo Next.
Commercial descaling solutions
There are a few commercial descaling kits available for Nespresso Vertuo Next machines. Here is a list of them.
Nespresso descaling solution is the official descaling solution for Nespresso machines. This descaling solution is designed to be used in every type of Nespresso machine and is easy to use.
Urnex is a third-party descaling solution that is safe to use with Nespresso machines, including Nespresso Vertuo Next. It is also in a liquid form and is used along with the water in the water tank.
It is a Swiss-based third-party descaling kit. According to our testing, this solution is safe to use with the Nespresso Vertuo Next machine. It is also in liquid form and is used with the mixing of water.
Homemade descaling solutions
Homemade descaling solutions can be one alternative. However, we do not recommend using these techniques as they may cause harm to your machine. Also, these solutions may void the warranty of your Nespresso Vertuo Next. Here are some of the homemade descaling solutions.
Mix equal parts of water and white vinegar in the water tank. Run the descaling process as described above. Remember to thoroughly clean the water tank and the machine after descaling to remove any residue left.
Lemon Juice Solution:
Mix equal parts of water and lemon juice in the water tank. Now carry on with the descaling process, which is explained in detail above. In the end, remember to thoroughly clean your Nespresso Vertuo Next machine with water to remove any left residue.
7 Expert Tips for Descaling Nespresso Vertuo Next
Here are a few expert tips for Descaling your Nespresso Vertuo Next coffee machine.
- We recommend you run a few water cycles after the descaling process to clean the machine thoroughly.
- Run the descaling solution once a month to clean up the mineral buildup in the machine.
- Do follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully while you descale your Nespresso machine. The descaling process is different for different Nespresso machines.
- Always use the official Nespresso descaling solution for descaling your Nespresso Vertuo Next. Using other commercial solutions can void the warranty of the machine and can cause damage to it.
- In addition to descaling, remember to clean the outer surface of the machine with a damp cloth and clean it with a dry cloth to remove any dirt or residue left.
- Try to keep track of descaling dates; so you know when to descale your Nespresso Vertuo Next, the next time machine needs descaling.
- Always use filtered water in preparing your coffee. It will reduce the mineral buildup and decrease the frequency of descaling your machine needs.
5 Expert Tips for Cleaning Nespresso Vertuo Next
Here are a few expert tips for cleaning the Nespresso Vertuo Next machine.
- Remember to empty the water tank after every use. It will prevent stale water from building up inside the water tank.
- Wash and thoroughly clean the water tank once a week. This technique will help prevent mineral buildup.
- Empty the drip tray and capsule container regularly. Also, remember to clean it to remove any coffee grounds left on them.
- To clean the exterior of the coffee machine, only use a damp and dry cloth. Using any detergent can ruin your Nespresso Vertuo Next.
- Clean and dry the seals and gaskets in your Nespresso Vertuo Next, especially around the brewing head. This technique will prevent the odor and will improve the seal.
5 Effects of hard water on the machine
Hard water can have many negative effects on the Nespresso Vertuo Next machine. Some of the effects include the following.
- Mineral buildup: Hard water contains tons of minerals, including calcium, magnesium, and lime. When these minerals enter the coffee machine, they leave behind mineral residue that builds up over time and affects the performance of the coffee machine.
- Shortened lifespan: Mineral buildup from the hard water can cause damage to the internal parts of the Nespresso Vertuo Next without you knowing about it, which can eventually shorten the lifespan of the coffee machine.
- Reduce machine efficiency: Mineral buildup can clog the water flow and slow down the heating process of the Nespresso Vertuo Next. In short, reducing the efficiency of the coffee machine.
- Effect on coffee quality and taste: Mineral buildup from the constant use of hard water can affect the quality of coffee and its taste. The coffee may taste a bit bitter and less flavorful.
- Stains on the machine: Hard water can result in stains in the interior and exterior of the machine that is hard to remove. Also, it can result in discoloration.
So, to reduce the effect of hard water on your machine, we recommend our readers use filtered water for the coffee-making process.
How often should I descale the Nespresso Vertuo Next?
The Nespresso company recommends descaling your Nespresso Vertuo Next every three months or 300 capsules (whichever comes first). If you live in an area with hard water, your descaling frequency will automatically increase. Descaling helps to ensure that your machine is working at its best and your coffee tastes perfect.
How often should I clean the Nespresso Vertuo Next?
We recommend you clean your Nespresso machine after every use. It won’t take much time to empty your water tank and clean the exterior of the coffee machine with a cloth. However, regular cleaning will ensure your coffee machine produces the best coffee and functions properly.
We’ll conclude by saying that regular cleaning and descaling of your Nespresso machine is very important for the proper functioning of the Nespresso machine. We recommend cleaning the machine after every use and descaling it after every three months. If you live in an area with hard water, descaling it after every month so that your machine’s health is not affected.
Frequently Asked Questions
What to do if the light stays on after descaling?
After descaling the Nespresso machine, if the light stays on, there may be a problem that needs to be addressed. Some of the potential problems can be as follows.
- You didn’t properly rinse the coffee machine after descaling. Wash the water tank thoroughly and clean it with a dry cloth.
- Your machine needs resetting. Try to reset the Nespresso machine and check if the light still stays on.
- Probably all the machine parts are not assembled properly. Try doing it.
- Last but not least, your machine sensors are not working properly. In this case, try contacting the professional in this regard.
What happens if I don’t descale my Nespresso Vertuo Next?
If you don’t descale your Nespresso machine, it will start having issues. Here is the list of the most common problems you might face if you don’t descale your coffee machine.
- The coffee tastes less flavorful, and the quality of coffee decreases with time.
- Not descaling your coffee machine will result in reducing the brewing and heating performance and, thus, will consume more energy.
- The machine will stop working eventually. Descaling helps remove the mineral buildup in the Nespresso machine. If it is not done, the mineral buildup will damage the coffee machine, and it won’t work.
Hence descaling your Nespresso Vertuo Next on time can save you from facing these problems and ensure your coffee machine’s good health.
Why won’t my Nespresso Vertuo Next go into descale mode?
There can be a few reasons why you might face this issue. Some of them are listed below.
- Your coffee machine is not properly assembled.
- Your coffee machine is not turned on.
- Your coffee machine is not recognizing the descaling solution you are using.
- You have not entered the descaling mode of Nespresso Vertuo Next correctly.
Is Descaling Nespresso Vertuo Next with vinegar a bad idea?
Yes, descaling your Nespresso Vertuo Next with vinegar and water solution is a bad idea. Always prefer and use the official descaling kit Nespresso provides to avoid any damage to the machine. Moreover, using vinegar for descaling your Nespresso machine will void the warranty of the coffee machine.
Can you descale Nespresso Vertuo with just water?
No, you can not descale Nespresso Vertuo Next with just water. The purpose of the descaling process is to remove the mineral buildup due to hard water, and water can not serve the purpose of removing the mineral buildup. Only the authentic descaling solution should be used to descale the Nespresso Vertuo Next machine. The descaling solution will help remove the mineral buildup inside the machine and will prevent the coffee machine from any potential damage.
Why is my Vertuo Next machine blinking/flashing orange or red?
If your Nespresso Vertuo Next is flashing red or orange light, it means that the coffee machine is encountering some error. The error depends upon the specific blinking pattern. For more details, you can check the guide about Nespresso blinking orange light.
Why is my Vertuo Next machine blinking/flashing white?
If your Nespresso Vertuo Next is blinking /flashing white light, it typically means that your machine needs descaling. Descaling is the process of removing mineral buildup inside the coffee machine due to hard water. The coffee machine can be descaled using a Nespresso descaling solution.
Why does my Vertuo Next machine have water in the used capsule container/holder?
Water is used in capsule containers due to several different reasons. Some of the reasons are as below.
- Your water tank is overfilled. It is causing water to leak into the used capsule container.
- There is a clog in the water drainage system.
- There can be an issue with the water pump.
- There can be faulty or worn seals on the water tank or the used capsule container.
My Vertuo Next machine is leaking; what should I do?
If your Nespresso Vertuo Next is leaking, you should contact Nespresso customer support and ask for help. They will offer some troubleshooting tips or arrange for a repair or replacement of the coffee machine.
The leaking is because the machine is clogged, so to avoid it try cleaning your Nespresso Vertuo regularly.