What to do if Keurig won’t pump water
Whether starting your day or ending it on your cozy couch, a cup of coffee is a must-have.
Although, the Keurig coffee machine makes a perfect coffee carafe or mug every time and doesn’t ditch you in your coffee-making journey for several years.
What if your worst dream comes true that your Keurig isn’t working?
There may be several reasons why your Keurig machine is not pumping water. You can make it pump water quickly with the following practical solutions.
Let’s jump to discuss quick fixes!
|Limescale existence or mineral scaling||Perform descaling|
|Clogged water line or filter||Unclog them with white vinegar|
|Air bubbles in the water lines||Shake your water reservoir|
|Keurig Water Pump is Damaged||Replace it/ Call Keurig customer service|
|Keurig ran out of water and won’t turn on||Reboot Keurig coffee maker|
|Problem with the water magnet||Realign magnet or change the water tank|
|Keurig making noise||Unclog the entry and exit needles|
|Clogged Entry & Exit Needles||Use a paper pin to unclog them|
Looking for a replacement? Check out Keurig K-Elite Coffee Maker
Problem 1: Minerals scaling
Sometimes you’re one step away from your delicious coffee mug, but something clogs your way to coffee.
Calcium and magnesium in the mineral or hard water can cause scaling in your Keurig Coffee Maker; clog it to pump water. You can try the following solution.
Solution: Perform descaling
If you’re not good at opening machines, this method is especially for you.
- Unplug the Keurig coffee brewer
- Take vinegar and water in 1:1 according to your carafe capacity
- Put this solution in the water reservoir and switch on the Keurig machine
- Repeat this cycle 1-2 times with vinegar solution and then with clear water to remove any vinegar residues
- It descales your water reservoir valves, filter, and pipes
Problem 2: Clogged Water Line or Filter
If you’re still on this page, that means your problem is not solved yet. Right?
There may be just a clog due to debris in the water lines or water filters. This is a common problem; you can fix it by opening the shower head.
Let’s dive in and start unclogging.
Solution: Unclog them with white vinegar
You can open the shower head any time and make it pump water. Here’s how you can do it:
- Unplug the Keurig coffee maker
- Remove the water tank and open the shower head front
- Open 2 screws in the shower head with a magnetic screwdriver
- Now pinch the plastic tubing of the pump to remove clogged coffee grounds and check if Keurig is pumping water or not
- Otherwise, remove the screen filter and soak it in white vinegar or gentle soap for 40-50 minutes
- You can also wash it with an electric toothbrush
- Lastly, rinse 2-3 times with clear water to ensure the Keurig water pump is clear
Problem 3: Air Bubbles in Water Lines
Another common problem is that air bubbles get stuck in the water lines. You can fix it in a few minutes.
Solution: Shake your water reservoir
Let me describe a simple solution to clear small air bubbles.
- Remove the water tank and drip tray
- And just shake your Keurig coffee maker
Don’t worry! It will not go out of order with slight shaking.
- Otherwise, just put your finger on the water line to block it and then run a brew cycle (make sure the K cup or Keurig Pods in the K cup holder is empty)
Putting your finger in front of the water line creates pressure that pushes air bubbles to move out.
Problem 4: Damaged Keurig Water Pump
Let’s find out the solution for this problem.
Solution: Call Keurig customer service
If the problem persists, that means your Keurig water pump is damaged.
Sounds bad? Yeah, I know that.
But don’t feel down and call Keurig Customer Service; their representatives are the right people to tell you whether your water pump should be repaired or replaced. Ensure you get the right Keurig pump according to your coffee machine model.
Problem 5: Keurig Won’t Turn on
Well, this is not a big problem; you can quickly deal with it at home within a few minutes. Resetting your Keurig can make it work again in a proper manner. Here’s how you can do it.
Solution: Reboot Keurig coffee maker
- First, check whether the socket is working properly
- Turn off and unplug your Keurig coffee maker
- Remove its water reservoir and wait for a few minutes
- Then press the turn-on button for 10 seconds
- As soon as you press the button, Keurig’s touchscreen will turn on
- Put the water reservoir on and try to get your coffee cup
Problem 6: Water Magnet Problem
The brewing causes vibrations in the coffee machine, making the magnets in the water tank misaligned. But sometimes a magnet loses its strength.
So let’s check out the possible solutions to these problems.
Solution: Realign magnet or change the water tank
- Unplug the Keurig coffee maker and remove the water tank
- Shake or tap the area where the magnet is attached
Keurig won’t pump water if the magnet has lost its strength because it won’t detect water level. So you need to replace the reservoir or claim the warranty.
Problem 7: What to do with noisy Keurig
You don’t want to hear popping, clicking, and loud sounds from your Keurig coffee maker, right?
Then give a thorough check to your coffee machine. Just turn it on, and run a brew cycle. Everything is normal if it turns on quickly and brews a normal amount of coffee.
But if it turns on usually and not brewing the right amount of coffee, it may be possible that the brewing needle is clogged. Let’s dive into finding a quick solution!
Solution: Unclog the entry and exit needles
- Remove the pod holder from the coffee brewer
- Pull the funnel from the pod holder and detach it
- Clear the tube by using a pin, maybe a paper clip, and wash the pod holder
- Now use the same pin to clear the entrance needle in the brewer’s head
Be careful while cleaning the entrance needle, as it has a sharp edge.
- Assemble the things back, and you’re good to go
3 Best descaling solutions available for Keurig
Get the most out of your Keurig Coffee Maker with valuable descaling solutions that enhance your brewer’s lifespan and function.
1. Keurig 3-Month Brewer Maintenance Kit and Descaling Solution
The Bottom Line:
Descale your Keurig Coffee maker perfectly with Keurig 3-Month Brewer Maintenance Kit and Descaling Solution. Kit contains 1 descaling solution, 4 Keurig Rinse pods, and 2 Water Filter Cartridges. Buy now!
2. Universal Descaling Solution for Keurig and Espresso Machines
The Bottom Line:
A Universal Descaling Solution that removes build up and extends life of all types of Keurig and Espresso machines. Making you descale Keurig and Espresso machines 4 times, 2 times each bottle.
3. Keurig 1.0 & 2.0 Descaling Solution and Cleaning Kit
The Bottom Line:
Enhance your brewer’s performance with “Keurig 1.0 & 2.0 Descaling Solution and Cleaning Kit.”It descales your Keurig 2 times with a single descaler bottle and 4 cleaner pods.
What to do if Keurig is still not pumping water?
If you have tried all the tips discussed above, then it is good to contact Keurig Customer Service. If the problem is mechanical, replacing the water pump is better.
How often should you descale your Keurig?
You should descale your Keurig every three to six months and run at least 10-12 rinse cycles to clean your coffee machine.
How to properly maintain your Keurig?
You can maintain Keurig with a proper descaling process and regular cleaning. Wash the water reservoir once a week with gentle soap. Follow three simple steps to clean Keurig coffee machines, hose down the exterior, clear up clogs and buildup, and descale to remove calcium deposits. This is how you can maintain Keurig.
Frequently Asked Questions – Keurig won’t pump water
How do you reset a Keurig after descaling?
Well, it depends on the Keurig model, but resetting after descaling your Keurig coffee machine is no longer necessary. Still, if it is on Descale mode, you should run another cycle to descale it properly and prepare it for making coffee.
Can you run vinegar through a Keurig to descale it?
Vinegar works equally as a descale solution. According to some resources, it works better to remove limescale from machinery. If you think you might feel vinegar’s taste in your coffee, run the brewing cycle with clear water 2-3 times more.
Can I replace the pump in a Keurig?
Keurig doesn’t recommend any replacement of their machine parts from the local market; still, you can replace the pump. If you want to change the pump in Keurig, it is advisable to send your machine back to the company to replace it.
How long do Keurig pumps last?
Proper maintenance and regular descaling can increase the shelf life of Keurig pumps, but normally it has a shelf life of about five years.
How do I force my Keurig to reboot?
5 simple steps to reboot your Keurig:
- Open and close the Keurig lever and turn it off
- Unplug the coffee machine
- Remove the water reservoir
- Attach the water reservoir and machine plug
- Press the turn on button for 10 seconds
Have you heard the fact that coffee lovers live longer? But this is not the single reason to love coffee; from aroma to taste, everything about coffee makes one enjoy it.
Enjoying coffee is impossible if your Keurig won’t pump water; therefore, the practical tips above enable you to make coffee within minutes.
Mostly you encounter simple problems that can be managed by unclogging, descaling, rebooting, eliminating water bubbles, etc.
Still, if these tips are not working, that means the reason is mechanical; in that case, you can claim a warranty, replace that specific part, or change the machine.